2006/07/17

Yet another blog...

Hello world!



Some time ago, after running a PDA website for some time I decided to shut it down - or more precisely to stop updating it, and spend a couple of years posting articles here and there on other people's websites.


Writing full-featured articles with pictures is a bit tedious at times, and as time went by I began to look for a faster alternative which would let me spend less time on content formatting, and I think that this blog may be part of the answer to my problem.


Don't hold your breath for daily updates, though, as I plan to do that more or less on a weekly basis.


The topics will be PDA and smartphone-centered, and reflect both my current line of thoughts and, of course, my current hardware/software setup.

At the moment, as far as hardware is concerned, I'm using a Nokia E61 smartphone running S60 3rd edition Symbian, so I'll obviously cover related topics most of the time, with quick or in depth reviews of S60 applications, tips & tricks about this smartphone, etc.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from the States! I admire your lucid musings on the E61- a device I'm dying to buy, but the case against doing so is getting too strong. This whole smartphone phenomenon is really telling about current consumerism and the ever increasing trend toward "mobile life". Happily exploiting consumers' "need" for miniscule all-in-one life devices are the major product providers, who clearly are in cahoots with their release cycles. I've been frantically engaged in a search for just such a device, and inevitably, my choices whittle down to handsets that either:

a) exclude the 850Mhz frequency, and are intended for primarily non-US users [ala my favorite unusable phone, the Loox T830]

b) lack on-board wifi [or, in the case of the E62, even the option to add a wifi card to the equation, as the mini-SD slot is hopeless buried behind the battery].

c) with the Treo 750, the SDIO slot is on the side of the phone, making the wifi card stick out ridiculously. Furthermore, the Treos still have the same, slippery, tiny keys which make for a frustrating data entry experience.

There are a couple other near-miss phones that insult you with their obvious exclusions. It's simply a matter of companies realizing we'll take what's available at the moment to satisfy our impulsive needs, and faithfully upgrade in a year, or do the developer's work for them on our own time [3rd party and homebrew solutions].

More on this later, my 2 year old requires my attention...

16 December, 2006 14:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home